Member, International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions (IFLA)
PLAI headquarters, 3F/Rm 301, The National Library Bldg.
T.M. Kalaw St., Ermita, Manila 1000 - Philippines
Telefax: (02) 525 9401
2008 COUNCIL INTERIM ELECTION GUIDELINES
B. Venue : To be decided by the incumbent officers
C. Officers To Be Elected: Regional Council Officers (7 Members)
6. (2) Board of Trustees
D. Term of Office
For two (2) years and in no case may any member be elected to the same office for two consecutive terms.
E. Who Can Vote
Members of good standing (who have paid for their membership dues for 2008).
F. Qualifications of Candidates
1. Of good moral character
2. Member of good standing for at least two (2) years immediately before the 2008 election.
3. Resident of the region for at least two (2) years prior to election.
4. Subscribe to the provisions of the New By-Laws.
5. Supports the objectives of the Association; participates in its activities; regularly pays the annual membership dues or has paid millennium membership dues.
6. Committed and active involvement to PLAI
G. Nomination of Candidates
The Committee on Nominations and Elections shall request nomination from the members. The name of nominees with their written consent shall be presented to the council for approval. Qualified members who are physically present can be nominated before the start of voting on election day and shall be considered candidates for election.
1. Voting shall be by secret ballot.
2. Voting Hours: (as decided by the Council)
3. Obtaining ballots. Upon entry to the polling place, member approaches the Council NOMELEC Chair, and shows his/her professional ID, signs the Official Registry of Voters. He/She will be given one (1) official folded ballot.
4. Member fills-out the ballot in the designated polling place. After accomplishing the ballot, member proceeds to where the ballot box is located; affixes his/her thumb mark on the designated space in the ballot and detaches the thumb mark portion, and drop in separate slots of the ballot box his/her ballot and the thumbed marked portion of it.
I. Canvassing of Votes
1. Commencement - Canvassing of votes shall commence immediately at the close of the voting hours and shall continue until completed. Such proceeding shall be opened to all council members.
2. Procedures - The Council NOMELEC Chair shall open the ballot box in the presence of all members; count and examine all ballots from the ballot box to ensure that each ballot bears at the back of it the signature of the Council NOMELEC Chair, and that the logo of PLAI appears on the face of the ballot. Any ballot which does not bear the required marks shall be considered VOID and duly marked.
3. Canvassers shall record the votes on their tally sheets in the presence of the poll watchers.
4. The Council NOMELEC upon completion of the canvassing shall accomplish the Report of Results of council elections and transmit the same to the National Board of Trustee.
J. Proclamation of Winning Candidates
Immediately after the votes have been tallied and counted, the Council NOMELEC shall officially announce and proclaim all winning candidates who will form the 2008 Council Board Trustee and Council NOMELEC Members.
K. Submission of Results to the National Council shall be on or before October 31, 2008.
For guidance and implementation of all Councils in their 2008 Council Elections.